Wednesday 26 February 2014

Melbourne: White Night

After seeing photos of Melbourne's first 'White Night' festival in 2013, I was very excited to check it out this year and see what it was all about. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the concept, White Night is an all-night festival that celebrates and showcases the arts. It originated in St.Petersburg and has since inspired several major cities to become open spaces for amateur and professional art, film, music and performance. My friend and I decided to get in pretty early (at around 8 pm), and even at that time, the crowds were ridiculous. We had to meander through several alleyways to make our way to Flinders Street Station, where (we thought) much of the action would take place. 
Crazy Crowds 

The light projection on Flinders Street and the surrounding buildings was stunning. I can't begin to imagine how much effort would go into that. However, I found it so difficult to navigate my way through the crowds to see any of the performances! I saw a couple of short film screenings on Collins St. but other than this, my experience was limited to the light spectacle. This was a bit of a shame because I had a look at the website and there seemed to have been some great performances, but the lines to get to them practically encircled the buildings- if you could make it to them, that is. I suppose overall, White Night is in its early stages in Melbourne, and it can only get better, so I am hopeful about that. 
Flinders St. Station


And let's just take a moment to appreciate what a pretty city I live in:

Did anyone else go to White Night? What did you think? :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment