Friday 7 February 2014

Travel Challenge



            Which was your best holiday, and why?
This one is really difficult to answer because I believe each holiday I’ve been on has had something unique and significant to offer. However, if I must choose one, I’d pick New York City, 2012, mainly because it was the first time I had been in a new city all by myself. I remember being really worried and apprehensive (I was 18 at the time), and then gradually overcoming this, and feeling really excited and adventurous. That really stuck with me. 
Which was your worst holiday, and why?
Again, every bad holiday teaches you something, so I don’t think there is a ‘worst’. Although, I have to say, agreeing to go on a jungle safari in Yala, Sri Lanka with amateur trackers was not my wisest decision. We got bogged down in mud, late at night, surrounded by wild elephants. Word of advice: thoroughly research who you plan to go on safari with and make sure they are experienced professionals who know what they’re doing! ;)  
Where is the best accommodation you’ve stayed in?
Hotel Home Latin, Paris. It was reasonably priced, clean, the staff were really welcoming, the location was excellent and I felt very safe. Being a young female traveller, safety is something I always prioritise, so it was lovely to feel really secure at this hotel. This was kindly recommended to me by Darcy 
Which is the worst accommodation you’ve stayed in?
Worst, yet oh so amusing: The Hans Brinker Budget Hotel in Amsterdam.  
What do you need for a perfect holiday?
A little bit of research, an open mind and a decent map. 
What do you always take with you?
The essentials (travel documents and currency), photocopies of these, and good shoes.  
What’s the biggest packing mistake you’ve made?
Taking a really thick red knitted jumper to Europe. I ended up ditching it in a hotel somewhere, it was weighing me down so much! I also had 2 large bottles of Bioderma leak in my bag because I hadn’t packed them securely.  
What’s your best piece of travel advice?
I plan on posting a few things on my blog, so keep an eye out for that and then you can decide :)  
What do you love most about holidays?
I love the whole process of researching and booking your tickets and accommodation. It is really stressful sometimes, but you know it will be worth it when you finally get there. I love the people you meet along the way and the little things you learn from them. And I also love the feeling of finally being in a city you worked so hard to be in!  
What do you hate about holidays?
Post-travel blues, organising dates and date-changes around work and study and what not, and getting sick; although that’s never fun I suppose!  
Where do you want to go next?
Too many places! South America, Canada, Portugal and Morocco would be my top 4… for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment