Tuesday 20 May 2014

Rippon Lea Mansion and Gardens

About a month ago, I was in a bit of an exploring mood, which sadly coincided with me being a little bit low on funds. My friend Georgina suggested we visit the Rippon Lea house and Gardens in Elsternwick, Melbourne. It was local, inexpensive and something I hadn't done before. I love discovering new places in the city I live in, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to experiment with my new camera. 
The Mansion 
Where: The Rippon Lea House and Gardens are a 15 minute walk from Elsternwick Station, which is on the Sandringham train line. 
Cost: There is a small fee to enter the gardens, and then an additional charge to take a tour of the mansion I am not certain of how much we paid, but it was less that $15. 



The Lake

Windmill and flower beds
Ferns

Flowers!


History: The mansion is around 100 years old, and belonged to the Sargood family, who owned clothing and drapery firms in Melbourne. You can have a look at the full story here.
My Favourites: The fern garden was so calming and peaceful. I also enjoyed the flower beds and lake. Georgina was infatuated with the antique furniture and decor.



1930s Bathroom fittings

Lounge


Frocks 

Stained glass doors
It was such a great day out, and the weather was perfect for it! Although I am sure it looks even prettier in Autumn. Definitely worth checking out if you're in town. If there are any hidden places you like visiting in your own city, let me know!
Me, myself and I 





No comments:

Post a Comment